The process of determining what keywords and phrases (search terms) you will target with your SEO efforts. The terms you select will guide both your on-page and off-page efforts. The goal of keyword research is to determine:
- What search terms and phrases do people use when searching for the type of information your site provides?
- What search terms can you reasonably expect your site to rank for?
Typically keyword research involves:
- Keyword brainstorming: Identifying search terms for further research.
- Keyword research: Expanding your list of terms and checking their search volume.
- Competitive analysis: Evaluating competition for your search terms.